2012年3月27日星期二

Disk recomendations

This is probably a basic question but here goes.
I am setting up a MS 2000 sql server on a Windows 2003 server attached
to a SAN.
I am anticipating that the database will be around 50 gig with the SAN
allocating around 100 gig for the database drive.
My question is this.....Thru the san I can allocate more disk to this
server if I need to.
What is considered a best practice to add this additional space to the
server?
I have read that MS does not recommend the db on Dynamic disk.
Could I use diskpart to utilize the additional space?
Or would it be better to backup the db rebuild the drive with the new
disk and restore?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.MS modified Diskpart.exe to allow for expansion of basic disks in certain
circumstances. This is due to the requirement that clustered disks be basic
disks. Here is the KB article that explains the requirements and the
process.
How to extend the partition of a cluster shared disk:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304736/en-us
The process refers to a clustered disk resource, but any SAN virtual disk
that meets the requirements will work.
--
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
"Barrycuda" <barry.hyronimus@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1164841064.493376.137450@.l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
> This is probably a basic question but here goes.
> I am setting up a MS 2000 sql server on a Windows 2003 server attached
> to a SAN.
> I am anticipating that the database will be around 50 gig with the SAN
> allocating around 100 gig for the database drive.
> My question is this.....Thru the san I can allocate more disk to this
> server if I need to.
> What is considered a best practice to add this additional space to the
> server?
> I have read that MS does not recommend the db on Dynamic disk.
> Could I use diskpart to utilize the additional space?
> Or would it be better to backup the db rebuild the drive with the new
> disk and restore?
> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>|||Thanks, it looks like a strategy of proper backups and
diskpart should do the trick...

没有评论:

发表评论