2012年3月29日星期四

Diskperf on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

Hello,
I'm using Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition which has multiple instances
of SQL Server 2005 standard edition. Am running a few tests that require the
switching on/off of the physical & logical disk counters.
Diskperf on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition does not allow me to do this.
Either both (Logical & Physical) are enabled or both are disabled.
How can I turn them on/off individually?
Cheers!
SqlcatzThe implementation of this changed on Windows 2003. Both
logical and physical are automatically enabled "on demand"
under Win 2003.
-Sue
On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 03:51:02 -0700, SQLCatz
<SQLCatz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>I'm using Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition which has multiple instances
>of SQL Server 2005 standard edition. Am running a few tests that require the
>switching on/off of the physical & logical disk counters.
>Diskperf on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition does not allow me to do this.
>Either both (Logical & Physical) are enabled or both are disabled.
>How can I turn them on/off individually?
>Cheers!
>Sqlcatz|||Hello Sue,
Thank you for the reply.
Yes. They are automatically enabled - I came across that from an article.
But I'm not able to find anything that will allow me to disable them
(individually).
I'm executing certain tests for an application one of which requires that
these counters be disabled.
Is there any specific reason for Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition to
prevent the enabling/disabling of these counters? Can you point me to some
literature regarding this. I can accept the fact that this kind of behaviour
is not allowed - but need to know why - so that I provide a technical/logical
reason.
Cheers!
sqlcatz|||The are enabled when an application calls them - it's
automatic and built into the OS.
Previously, there were problems when you would have a
production performance issue and needed to monitor disks. If
the performance counters weren't enabled, you had to run
diskperf and reboot - not good for a production server.
You can run diskperf /help from the command line and read
the comments. That's one area of "documentation" on it - for
whatever that's worth. But the output is along the lines of:
NOTE: Disk performance counters are permanently enabled on
systems beyond Windows 2000.
-Sue
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:13:01 -0700, SQLCatz
<SQLCatz@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Hello Sue,
>Thank you for the reply.
>Yes. They are automatically enabled - I came across that from an article.
>But I'm not able to find anything that will allow me to disable them
>(individually).
>I'm executing certain tests for an application one of which requires that
>these counters be disabled.
>Is there any specific reason for Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition to
>prevent the enabling/disabling of these counters? Can you point me to some
>literature regarding this. I can accept the fact that this kind of behaviour
>is not allowed - but need to know why - so that I provide a technical/logical
>reason.
>Cheers!
>sqlcatz|||Thank you Sue!
sqlcatz

没有评论:

发表评论